HomeForumGeneral Racing DiscussionThe "SMART MONEY"

The "SMART MONEY"

goquo275978 Saturday 30th September at 10:09am

Ok guys,......let's get some opinions.

What are peoples' interpretation of "smart money"??

There's a girl on RadioTAB (Nicole Thomas, I think), who, annoyingly, uses the term waaaaay too often.
So I wrote down a few of her examples.
One last Wed was Ipswich race 1 "WINNING ACCORD"..........apparently, the smart money was on.
Result? It ran 3rd.....@ 19/1......in a field of 5..........For mine, it doesn't look like a smart bet. The winner was odds-on and ridden by J. Lloyd.)
I've heard this girl give the prices and "holds" on the races..........and I'm can't listen to her any more......I'll turn the radio off for 5 mins.
What are your thoughts?? Is this service really necessary??

Go for it...........and yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Happy punting.

Save Edit

Neds Free Bet
Dart Smart Sunday 1st October at 2:49pm

Smart money is probably any money that isn't hers. The real "SMART MONEY" on any race is the money invested on the winner, of course we usually only know that with the benefit of hindsight. I hate it when they say such and such a horse has been heavily backed from a hundred to one into 30 to one in a tuesday race at Cessnock or some other minor country meeting. It only takes a $10 bet to move a horse in that far when there is FA in the pool.

Save Edit

52poutanes Thursday 5th October at 6:55pm

They are just using spruikers terms as a marketing ploy to suck in the average Joe......The 'smart money' as they call it, is basically the favourite, because that's who the betting agencies hold the most money on......what a surprise

As Big Kev used to say I'M EXCITED

Edited at 6:59pm on Thursday 5th October

Save Edit

Lunatic Monday 9th October at 10:27am

The worst are the Sky Racing announcers (worst is R Freedman ).
Comments like:" X has firmed from $7.60 to $7.10"
or
If you like a roughie, Y as firmed from $100 to $80.
But the very worst is when they claim a horse has firmed --when I am at home watching
the OFFICIAL FLUCS ( can't tell you how) --and the horse has actually blown from $3.50 to $4.50 !!!!
These comments are made before EVERY race. It's basically false advertising--and therefore breaking the law.

Save Edit

Aarons1973 Friday 13th October at 10:44am

With reference to someone like Nicole Thomas(Radio Tab) when she uses the term "smart money" it is often money placed by regular winning accounting holders that are identified by Tabs & other corporate bookies. The corporates tend to close their account or limit the amount they accept on a bet, I'm not sure that Tabs have the power to do so.
Smart money when referrenced particualry RadioTab is generally a decent guide as they give a free marker mover on the breakfast show around 7.15 & 34 from the last 41 have won.
Just my 2 bobs worth.

Save Edit

hizzymp7192 Tuesday 31st October at 11:57pm

I bet they have a few more listeners now AARONS1973

Save Edit

Ladbrokes Free Bet
52poutanes Monday 13th November at 12:33pm

Originally posted by Aarons1973

With reference to someone like Nicole Thomas(Radio Tab) when she uses the term "smart money" it is often money placed by regular winning accounting holders that are identified by Tabs & other corporate bookies. The corporates tend to close their account or limit the amount they accept on a bet, I'm not sure that Tabs have the power to do so.
Smart money when referrenced particualry RadioTab is generally a decent guide as they give a free marker mover on the breakfast show around 7.15 & 34 from the last 41 have won.
Just my 2 bobs worth.

Sorry, but this entire statement is so flawed and inaccurate.

First of all, how can you possibly give an accurate idea of a genuine market mover at 7.15am...IMPOSSIBLE.

The reason why it is impossible, is because the 'big players' you talk about that the TAB frame their market movers on, do not bet until the last 2-3 minutes before a race....they bet on Betfair and the TAB....So basically they don't bet till the last couple of minutes so they dont show their hand. You said it yourself, they are shut down and banned by corporates so where is the TAB getting the 'big player' information from at 7.15am when the pools are dry??? Also the TAB does not have access to information from the corporates and Betfair on individual winning account...This would be a privacy breach...

They are basically just looking at the overall fixed odds fluctuations of pre race day betting and horses that are extremely short in the market, which is something any one can do...

Now getting to the tiny sample size you quoted of 34 winners from 41 picks....That is a super small sample size and is also a very convenient sample of run good....before the last 41 picks how did they go??? Can you quote those results???

And then there is the fact of what price were they??? I can tip you 90 winners from 100 races no problem when the average price is $1.10...

Your entire statement only proves that you are falling for the marketing hype...

I'm not being nasty, just factual....The tab's self interest is only in turnover to get commission, that's why they are selling you the 34 winners from 41 picks....they don't care whether you win or lose, as long as they get you to turn over money in the pools....In fact they are almost the opposite to the corporates. They prefer that you win when betting into the tote pools so you can re-invest that money back into the tote, which earns them compounding commission

If you win at a high rate (even with the TAB) on fixed odds, they will be quick smart to restrict you also.

Edited at 3:01pm on Monday 13th November

Save Edit

Aarons1973 Tuesday 28th November at 1:26pm

You make some very good points 52Pountanes & certainly agree regarding big money on Betfair in the last few minutes before races.

Where you were incorrect is that nowhere did I say these market movers where on races? These "market movers" are on different sports markets which are due to commence slightly after the Radio Sports Breakfast show finishes. I also never stated what prices they were giving out either, but they are definately not $1.10 shots. As for the example I gave, that just happened to be relevent at the time I gave my opinion & by no means did I say I actually followed their "hype".

Finally if you refer back to the original post on this thread, it says " Go for it... & yes everyone's entitled to their opinion" of which I gave mine. If I'm incorrect that's fine & by no means did I try to mislead anyone with my opinion regarding this thread.

Save Edit

Password  

Forgot your password?