HomeForumGeneral Racing DiscussionCause for concern!!

Cause for concern!!

theredbaron Sunday 18th March at 4:40pm

Noticed through the week the ex CEO from Sportsbet saying that all the state governments are going to introduce a 15%
consumption tax for on line bookies. This means that instead of the bookie being taxed in NT he pays a 15% tax where
the bet is placed. This is on top of the 10% GST and the 20-25% overheads they pay.
On top of this, to put a cap on problem gambling they are rubbing out sign up bonuses for all on line bookies.
He stated that William Hill has already folded up their tent and Packer has pulled out of Crown.
Interesting to see what becomes of online bookies.
Maybe we'll all be betting at the TAB before long.
Just another way the Kings control the peasants.

Save Edit

farmermick Monday 19th March at 4:19pm

nice post! it is really hard to get on with online bookmakers now adays, there was a time about 15-20 yrs ago there wer so many fielding on course and it was fun to have a decent bet now with online corporates such as Ladbrokes and Sportsbet I have had bets reduced and the worse case is when you back a horse on thursday for a saturday race with chunky odds and they only allow 50% of your bet. Come on corporates you turn over Millions of $$$ a year surely taking on individuals isn't as big of a risk as you make it out to be. My father who grew up around horses and owned some decent ones in his time always advised me that the house always win and for most its true but there are ways to make a profit from punting by taking out risky elements. Perhaps the TAB will be the only way in the future not sure of there policies on how much they will allow you to get on?????????????? anyone know?

Save Edit

theredbaron Monday 19th March at 5:32pm

Nothings changed mate. I remember back in the early 90s wanting to have 60 on a horse called Yopoppa
at a saturday Randwick meeting with Fred Stapleton at 33/1. He would only set me for 400 to 20 and suggested I put the rest on with the other bookies. Needless to say the horse got into trouble on the home turn, couldnt get a run and ran no-where. Un fortunately the damn thing ran again on the following wednesday and won at 12/1.
I didnt even know it was running....aah well...as they say shit happens...
I was following a pretty good last start winner system at the time...another story...
btw Ladbrokes and Bookmaker.com have banned me..I think they data share...
I dont think they like paying out do they....

Edited at 5:34pm on Monday 19th March

Save Edit

farmermick Monday 19th March at 10:21pm

yes bookamker and ladbrokes is the same company! my poor old horse ran today at Mailtland and injured himself so won't be back for 3-4 weeks and a vet bill to go with that. My system is simple I look at horses who drop in weight also class droppers and a big one horses who run around 3-4 lengths off but have drawn outside barriers like 12. 13. 14 then they draw 1 or 2 for example drop in weight and have certain jockeys I like but as long as thy have ridden the horse several times. it works well but t took me a decade to fine tune it as I was similar to my friend who was actually my best man at my wedding who ro unts the place I did it for a while built up banks but it didnt excite me, I like each way as the return is greater with minimal risk. my place betting/picking is a high % so choosing a winner to boot is extra gravy. I am down to earth but really I back so many 20-50 to 1 shots just by following my little system, have my own little black booker and no what you mean when you miss one as if I am out for the day and I miss one at 20-1 it suxs. I have heard many corporates banning punters I haven;t been banned but they dont; accept alot of my ajor bets and as you say they only let me on for "x" amount usually to win $2-5k, I won $20k from ladbrokes at xmas and suprisingly they let me transfer it out to my bank but they have stopped offering me match bonus deposits which I was getting every couple of weeks which I was like hell yeah, free dollars to build a bank. If you have alook at the 2 horses I backed at Armidale today I thought they were huge value, cheers Mick

Save Edit

theredbaron Tuesday 20th March at 9:15pm

Interesting article on Racing.com today which discusses at length the bans bookies are fighting atm
This is blatant restraint of trade by government.Any first year law student would see this,
Personally, I think the whole issue stinks and I smell a rat somewhere...

Save Edit

farmermick Tuesday 27th March at 6:04pm

if you are having a bet on saturday 31/3 @ Rosehill in the last Race 9 back TRIBAL WISDON been working the house down since his narrow defeat, should be around 10-1,

Save Edit

Password  

Forgot your password?