Bunbury Cup back at South West’s state-of-the-art racecourse

The $150,000 Bunbury Cup is returning to the state-of-the-art Bunbury Racecourse this weekend for the first time in three years, with up to 8000 racegoers expected to attend.
The past two Bunbury Cups were held at Ascot during the $30 million upgrade of the South West’s premier thoroughbred track.
Racing resumed in October, paving the way for the Bunbury Cup (2000m) this Saturday, March 9.
“I’m really excited to see the Bunbury Cup return to Bunbury,” Racing and Wagering Western Australia CEO Ian Edwards said.
“The buzz and atmosphere on-course when Paddy’s Shadow won the Cup for Collie-based trainer Raquel Williams in 2021 – the last time the Cup was run in Bunbury – was electric.
“The Bunbury Cup, and racing in general, gives people from across the South West an opportunity to connect, socialise and enjoy a day trackside.”
Racing in WA contributes $1.3 billion to the State’s economy annually, with more than 25,000 people involved in the industry.
The South West region equates to almost seven per cent of WA racing’s value, generating $90.5 million a year.
Almost 3000 people are involved in racing in the South West as an employee, volunteer or participant. The industry supports almost 700 full-time jobs.
Bunbury Turf Club CEO Alex Doble said the region was looking forward to the race day.
“The support we’ve received from the community since we resumed racing at Bunbury last October has been nothing short of amazing,” he said.
“We’re very proud of our top-tier facilities and how they benefit horses, trainers and jockeys.
“The Bunbury Cup is a highlight of the South West’s social calendar and I’m really excited for the community to come together and celebrate.”
Volunteers from Solaris Cancer Care, a Racing WA Community Fund partner, will be at the Bunbury Cup meeting fundraising for regional families affected by cancer.
The Racing WA Community Fund is a driving force for positive change in areas linked to racing, such as the South West, where racing’s presence is deeply felt.
More Racing News
Thrilling Scone Cup success for in-form Hellsing
Trained by Annabel and Rob Archibald, Hellsing has entered excellent shape and notched his finest victory yet in the Listed $200,000 Arrowfield Scone Cup (1600m) held at Scone on Friday.On his 10th run in a preparation exceeding six months, Hellsing is thriving more than ever, building on a Royal Randwick...
Trainer Moloney sees ongoing enhancement in Hearcomesthestar
Improvement has marked every preparation, and John Moloney, the trainer, expects additional development from Hearcomesthestar in her upcoming appearance at Flemington.From 28 races, Hearcomesthestar has notched six wins and eight places, but Stakes grade has proven challenging for her.The approaching six-year-old earned a Listed placing at Geelong earlier this year,...
Searle family from SA chasing Melbourne Cup dream with Sir Kingsford
Gary and Nichole Searle, together with their daughter Brianna Callanan, form a South Australian training outfit with ambitions for Sir Kingsford in the Melbourne Cup.A victory in Saturday's Listed Andrew Ramsden (3200m) at Flemington earns the winner a Melbourne Cup ballot exemption ahead of the big November event.Nichole Searle sampled...
Scone's Luskin Star Stakes sees Estadio Mestalla with tough weight
Trainer Joe Pride questions the two-kilo advantage given to a Group 1 winner over Estadio Mestalla in the Luskin Star Stakes, but trusts the steady gelding to deliver full commitment.At seven years old, he notched his top triumph in the prior year's Listed Winter Stakes (1100m) and must shoulder 61kg...
Barrier 18 no hindrance to Sequista's Scone return
Trainers Gerald Ryan and Sterling Alexiou believe filly Sequista has the class for black-type success despite her tendency to undermine herself.Having notched stakes placings in the 2024 Inglis Nursery (1000m) and run near the placings in Tempted's Percy Sykes Stakes (1200m), the three-year-old targets another milestone in Saturday's Listed Denise's...
Flemington awaits Concord Connie's next bold move
Trainer Charlotte Littlefield hopes her talented filly Concord Connie can replicate her recent feat before entertaining grander aspirations.In her third race appearance at Flemington on Anzac Day, Concord Connie notched a breathtaking win by six lengths in sharp time.This Saturday, the filly heads back to Flemington to compete against the...
Dark Jewel Classic in sights for Harlem Queen
While Harlem Queen didn't sustain her early promise from age three, trainer Nathan Doyle feels confident after her trouble-free lead-up that she might restore reliable results.She returns Saturday in the Dark Jewel Classic (1400m) held at Scone, where despite preferring stamina tests ahead, barrier five positions her well for Doyle's...
Flemington run to decide Different Gravy's Queensland Derby chances
At Flemington, Different Gravy will put his Queensland Derby dreams to the test in upcoming action.Following a Listed triumph over 1800m at Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day last year, trainer Henry Dwyer fixed his focus on the northern Derby.The Group 1 Queensland Derby (2400m) at Eagle Farm scheduled for May...
Abounding's scratch lets Napoleonic into Doomben 10,000 lineup
Confirmation has arrived that Napoleonic will join the Doomben 10,000 field, following Abounding's removal which opened the door for the colt in the elite Group 1 dash.Team members experienced a stressful seven days after the three-year-old earned second emergency status for the $1.5 million event, as reserve Beadman claimed a...
Snowden's stable loaded with top sprinters for feature clashes
Boasting a stable full of high-caliber sprinters primed for black-type action, trainer Peter Snowden enjoys the luxury of picking and choosing among several prestigious races.Just a couple of weeks earlier, Zealously claimed victory in the Hawkesbury Gold Rush (1100m), followed by King Of Roseau and Beadman grabbing interstate stakes wins...









