123 horses in Melbourne Cup 2024 contention

A total of 123 horses are officially in with a chance of winning this year’s Melbourne Cup after entries for this year’s $8.5 million race were revealed on Tuesday afternoon.
Defending champion Without A Fight heads a list of 103 locally-trained entries, while 20 horses trained overseas were paid-up for the race that will this year be run on November.
“Today is an exciting milestone as we build momentum towards the 2024 Melbourne Cup with 123 horses declaring their intention to race at Flemington on the first Tuesday in November,” Victoria Racing Club executive general manager of racing Leigh Jordon said.
“This year’s Lexus Melbourne Cup is shaping up to have strong representation from across the world with horses from Ireland, Japan, France and England looking to compete against Australia and New Zealand’s best stayers.
“Among the nominations are a strong group of local contenders headlined by the pride of South Australia, The Map who is giving her country-based owners a ride of a lifetime.”
The Map is guaranteed a run in this year’s Melbourne Cup thanks to her win in the ballot-exempt Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes in May.
Australia’s two leading stables dominate the local entries with past winners Chris Waller and Ciaron Maher entering 37 horses between them.
Waller has 21 entries, headlined by star imported mare Via Sistina and dual Derby winner Riff Rocket, while Maher’s 16 entries include Sydney Cup winner and early favourite Circle Of Fire, boom recruit Middle Earth and winter sensation Berkshire Breeze.
Last year’s beaten favourite Vauban is again among the entries, one of three nominations for Irish trainer Willie Mullins alongside Absurde, who finished seventh last year, and Hipop De Loire.
Mullins’ compatriot Aidan O’Brien has six horses entered, including last-start 20-length winner Grosvenor Square, Group 2 winner and dual Group 1 placegetter Illinois and Point Lonsdale.
Japan has two shots at another Melbourne Cup success, via Warp Speed and Shonan Bashitto.
Those who missed the initial nomination deadline have until next Tuesday to submit a late entry, while weights for this year’s race will be revealed on Tuesday, September 17.
More Racing News
Sir Kingsford's local Cups campaign begins at Morphettville Parks
A pursuit of a Melbourne Cup start has been abandoned for the South Australian galloper Sir Kingsford, who will now focus his attention on local Cup races.After securing second place in the Port Adelaide Cup at Morphettville in May, Sir Kingsford then travelled to Flemington to compete in the Andrew...
Nearco Frod seeks fifth win in a row at Sandown
The training partnership of Tony and Calvin McEvoy possesses a thorough understanding of equine development.Last year, after a period spent in the warmer climate of Queensland, Half Yours returned to claim a double in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.Half Yours is once again bound for the Melbourne Cup, with a...
Signature Scent primed for Carlyon Stakes challenge
A 1000m dash at Stakes level has been on the radar for Signature Scent for some time, according to the Ciaron Maher stable.Notwithstanding a recent failure to place in a three-year-old event, the stable sees no impediment to her contesting the Group 3 Carlyon Stakes (1000m) at Sandown this Saturday.Having...
Idle Flyer's Spring Carnival Path Tested in Winx Stakes
Trainer Matthew Smith is keen to assess Idle Flyer's capabilities against top competition as she begins her spring campaign in the Winx Stakes at Randwick, with the Cox Plate looming as a potential target.After a dominant performance in the Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1600m) in the autumn,...
Apocalyptic primed for Randwick return, says Berry
Just as Ninja made a statement with his Missile Stakes win two weeks ago, stablemate Apocalyptic will be on a mission to do the same when she launches her campaign in the Toy Show Quality at Randwick.Dominant in the Princess Series as a spring three-year-old, Apocalyptic performed below expectations in...
Almairac's Adelaide venture after frustrating draws
Despite a string of unfavourable barrier draws in the past week, trainer Cliff Brown is taking a calculated risk by sending Almairac to Adelaide.Almairac has faced wide gates at recent starts, including last Saturday in Sydney and Wednesday at Sandown. On Saturday, the gelding will again jump from a challenging...
Screen Icon's prospects brightened by Rosebud result
Trainer John Thompson received a positive sign from the Rosebud race, even without a runner, which has bolstered his confidence for Screen Icon's upcoming appearance in the Silver Shadow Stakes at Randwick.The recent running of the Rosebud saw Chilly Girl emerge victorious, finishing a half-length ahead of Screen Icon in...
Ceolwulf poised for spring resurgence
Trainer Joe Pride is optimistic about the return to form for Ceolwulf, a four-time Group One winner, after an abbreviated autumn campaign.The star miler, who had his spring campaign cut short after just two starts last time in due to foot concerns and a minor bleed, will make his reappearance...
Tennessee aiming for seventh consecutive win
Ciaron Maher's stable possesses a remarkable ability to nurture older mares, bringing out their best performances.One can point to the examples of Bella Nipotina and Pride Of Jenni, who continued to perform at a high level throughout their careers.Tennessee Bound, while perhaps not in the same calibre, boasts a notable...
Rosehill trials feature Headwall and emerging talent
While the Winx Stakes contest between Autumn Glow and Sheza Alibi is capturing attention this week, Rosehill barrier trials are also a significant drawcard as several equine stars intensify their preparations for their return to racing.Headwall, a contender for The Everest, will undertake his third trial over 900 metres in...









