Fire damages Caulfield stands, treated as suspicious

Posted by RS NewsWire at 5:52pm on January 7th

A fire has broken out in the Norman Robinson stand at Caulfield racecourse on Tuesday morning, with the blaze being treated as suspicious.

Fire fighters were called to Caulfield shortly after 6:00am on Tuesday with one stand ablaze, incorporating seating and hospitality areas.

No one was injured however Victoria Police confirmed the fire is being treated as suspicious and a crime scene has been established. Fire crews were able to control the blaze shortly after 7:00am.

Racing is schedule for the Caulfield Heath track on Wednesday and the Melbourne Racing Club is likely to move the meeting to Mornington, with MRC chairman John Kanga thankful that no one was injured.

“It’s been contained, I’m not an engineer but it looks like it’s all reparable, I’m sure our guys will salvage what they can, it’s tragic really,” Kanga told RSN.

“When I got here it looked like the Hiskens stand and the Norman Robinson were up but luckily the fireies have been able to contain it to the Norman Robinson stand.”

“It started on the deck outside the bar… there’s significant water damage to that bar and the medallion bar underneath it.”

“You can replace buildings but you can’t replace human lives.”

Incident controller at Fire Rescue Victoria Dennis Smith spoke to media at Caulfield, suggesting it could have been much worse.

“Thankfully with their quick work and some really good work from the internal fire systems, they were able to stop it from spreading to the adjoining grandstands,” Smith said.

“We were lucky… there were a few committee members milling around, a few workers arriving on scene but thankfully no impact to the community doing exercise and definitely no horses which is great news.”

How long it takes to rebuild the grandstand remains to be seen, with the MRC hopeful things can be back to normal before the Blue Diamond series, one of their major carnivals.

“That section will be out of action for some time… I don’t believe they’ll have to knock any components down of the brick area but because it is timber, it’s unlikely that area will be able to be repaired, they’ll probably have to replace that section,” Smith said.

More Racing News

Sir Kingsford's local Cups campaign begins at Morphettville Parks

A pursuit of a Melbourne Cup start has been abandoned for the South Australian galloper Sir Kingsford, who will now focus his attention on local Cup races.After securing second place in the Port Adelaide Cup at Morphettville in May, Sir Kingsford then travelled to Flemington to compete in the Andrew...

Today

Nearco Frod seeks fifth win in a row at Sandown

The training partnership of Tony and Calvin McEvoy possesses a thorough understanding of equine development.Last year, after a period spent in the warmer climate of Queensland, Half Yours returned to claim a double in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.Half Yours is once again bound for the Melbourne Cup, with a...

Today

Signature Scent primed for Carlyon Stakes challenge

A 1000m dash at Stakes level has been on the radar for Signature Scent for some time, according to the Ciaron Maher stable.Notwithstanding a recent failure to place in a three-year-old event, the stable sees no impediment to her contesting the Group 3 Carlyon Stakes (1000m) at Sandown this Saturday.Having...

Today

Idle Flyer's Spring Carnival Path Tested in Winx Stakes

Trainer Matthew Smith is keen to assess Idle Flyer's capabilities against top competition as she begins her spring campaign in the Winx Stakes at Randwick, with the Cox Plate looming as a potential target.After a dominant performance in the Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1600m) in the autumn,...

Today

Apocalyptic primed for Randwick return, says Berry

Just as Ninja made a statement with his Missile Stakes win two weeks ago, stablemate Apocalyptic will be on a mission to do the same when she launches her campaign in the Toy Show Quality at Randwick.Dominant in the Princess Series as a spring three-year-old, Apocalyptic performed below expectations in...

Yesterday

Almairac's Adelaide venture after frustrating draws

Despite a string of unfavourable barrier draws in the past week, trainer Cliff Brown is taking a calculated risk by sending Almairac to Adelaide.Almairac has faced wide gates at recent starts, including last Saturday in Sydney and Wednesday at Sandown. On Saturday, the gelding will again jump from a challenging...

Yesterday

Screen Icon's prospects brightened by Rosebud result

Trainer John Thompson received a positive sign from the Rosebud race, even without a runner, which has bolstered his confidence for Screen Icon's upcoming appearance in the Silver Shadow Stakes at Randwick.The recent running of the Rosebud saw Chilly Girl emerge victorious, finishing a half-length ahead of Screen Icon in...

Yesterday

Ceolwulf poised for spring resurgence

Trainer Joe Pride is optimistic about the return to form for Ceolwulf, a four-time Group One winner, after an abbreviated autumn campaign.The star miler, who had his spring campaign cut short after just two starts last time in due to foot concerns and a minor bleed, will make his reappearance...

Yesterday

Tennessee aiming for seventh consecutive win

Ciaron Maher's stable possesses a remarkable ability to nurture older mares, bringing out their best performances.One can point to the examples of Bella Nipotina and Pride Of Jenni, who continued to perform at a high level throughout their careers.Tennessee Bound, while perhaps not in the same calibre, boasts a notable...

Yesterday

Rosehill trials feature Headwall and emerging talent

While the Winx Stakes contest between Autumn Glow and Sheza Alibi is capturing attention this week, Rosehill barrier trials are also a significant drawcard as several equine stars intensify their preparations for their return to racing.Headwall, a contender for The Everest, will undertake his third trial over 900 metres in...

Yesterday